Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hitachi DB3DL2 Cordless Screwdriver

I had a small project to construct in the basement which involved a ton of little screws. I have a very nice cordless impact driver that I use to drive screws all the time but this thing had a lot of delicate screws & I didn't want to foul them up. I figured it might be time to buy a cordless screwdriver because they are lighter duty and I would suspect a bit more gentle.

I started by searching around the internet Googling this and that and I came across a Hitachi DB3DL2. I even watched a video by somebody who sounded like he might have been Russian. He did a pretty good review and convince me to go out to check it out. I went to my local box store and found the same model on display. It had a lot of really nice features but it was over $75 and a little steep for me because I’m so cheap. Instead, I found a website which offered this tool at www.screwgunsdirect.com and the price was better so I made a purchase. It was delivered to my house in just a couple of days.

After charging the batteries for 8 hours as recommended, I started to put the screwdriver to the test. I had a lot of delicate screws as I mentioned earlier and there is a torque setting on this thing which helped out a lot. I avoided stripping on screws, which made my life much easier. There is a forward and reverse sitting on this thing and it works really well. There's even a speed setting I switch on the top.

The thing I like the most about this unit is the LED light which works really well in tight spots. I had to crawl under the sink the other day to tighten a hinge screw and the light really came in handy. Especially for an old fart like me.